The City of Cohoes is seeking candidates to fill an opening in City’s Engineering Department as Civil Engineer. This position is professional level engineering work performed in the field or office in connection with the design, construction, and operation of civil and related engineering projects. Primary assignment may be to either field or office with possibility of rotation. When assigned to field work, which may involve conducting surveys for engineering projects, an employee in this class has responsible charge of all personnel assigned to the field section. When assigned to office design functions, an employee in this class assists in designing a variety of engineering projects under general supervision. Assignments are given by the City Engineer or his designee in specific terms but leeway is allowed for the exercise of independent judgement in planning details. Supervision may be exercised over professional level and subprofessional personnel. The Civil Engineer performs related work as required.
- Salary $65,000 - $75,000
- Monday-Friday - 7:30am-4:00pm - 40 hour work week
- Health Benefits
- Retirement Plan
- Vacation, Sick and Personal Time
Typical Work Activities:
- Assists in the preparation of layout, design, and plans for major construction projects;
- Prepares preliminary construction and maintenance cost estimates for paving, sewer and water lines, city buildings, parking lots and related public projects;
- Reviews specifications and plans for public projects and consults with Building Department to insure conformity to building code;
- Provides engineering assistance and advice to the legal department regarding condemnation and easement proceedings;
- Oversees the plotting of changes and new information on master city maps;
- Assists in the researching and compilation of statistics and field observations relating to contemplated projects;
- Performs a wide variety of professional level and general administrative engineering duties in the field or in the office as directed.
Minimum Qualification: Either
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field
- Graduation from a regionally accredited or New York State registered college or university with an Associate’s degree in Civil Engineering or related filed, or completion of an equivalent number of credit hours in undergraduate curriculum leading to a degree in civil engineering or related filed; and two (2) years of experience as defined in (A):
Special Requirements: Proof of passing the National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying Fundamentals of Engineering Examination (FE).
Interested candidates can submit a resume to: Garry Nathan, firstname.lastname@example.org and Amanda Primeau, email@example.com