Refuse and Recycling
Due to changes in procedure and new regulations the City of Cohoes has updated it’s Refuse and Recycling Program as of January 1, 2023. The City will continue to take most items we have taken in the past in the same manor. There are some items we are no longer able to collect.
The items we are no longer able to collect are as follows:
1. Televisions & Electronics: the City of Cohoes will post a list of collection sites for these items and will collect televisions and electronics once a year at Spring Clean-Up.
2. Paint products: any type of paint, latex or oil based, paint thinner, or spray paint in cans. Paint can be collected if it is dry and hard in the can.
3. Propane Tanks
4. Batteries, any type; car or household.
5. Light bulbs, fluorescent, metal halide, high pressure sodium or any other kind.
6. Any petroleum products; gasoline, kerosene, diesel fuel.
7. Rock, Dirt, Brick or Concrete.
8. Tires: passenger tire on rim, light truck tire on rim, industrial and small medium commercial tires.
***Contractors and Landscapers doing work in the City are required to remove all debris and yard waste once the job is complete. The City of Cohoes will NOT be responsible for removing these items.***
Lawn and Leaf Bag Collection
Lawn and Leaf Bag collection will continue once a week during the spring, summer and fall seasons. Days will vary depending on equipment and personnel availability.
• Leaves and yard waste need to be placed in paper lawn/leaf bags.
• Branches must be cut up into 4’ lengths and bundled.
• **NO rocks, bricks or concrete in lawn/leaf bags.**
• The City Garage is NOT a transfer station and CAN NOT accept Lawn or Leaf Bag.
Refuse and recycling collection is for Cohoes residents ONLY. Refuse and recycling will not be accepted if brought into the city from outside sources.
Spring Clean-Up Day will continue to be held once a year at Lansing Park. Date to be determined.
- Holiday Garbage Pickup Schedule
- Trash Collection Request Form (PDF)
- Map of Cohoes Garbage Collection Days (PDF)
- Commercial Sanitation Program please call 518-233-2139
- Residential Sanitation Program please call 518-233-2139
- Single Source Recycling
- Curbside Recycling Guidelines (PDF)
- Map of Cohoes Recycling Collection Days (PDF)
- Recycling Info Card
- Recycling Welcome Letter and FAQ's about the new cart
Below is a list of collection sites within the Capital Region that collect electronics. Not all sites collect all types of electronics, so please contact the company prior to drop off.
This department is responsible for the maintenance of all City streets, water lines, sewer lines, and storm drains. City streets are cleaned by mechanical sweepers on a regular basis. Installation of signs for traffic control, street markings, parking lot maintenance.
This department is responsible for the production and distribution of water to over four thousand accounts. This includes the daily operation of the City's Water Filtration Plant, maintenance of existing water transmission lines, and water meter reading.
Combined Sewer Overflow Discharge Notification System
The Albany Pool Communities have jointly developed this web-based information service that provides easy access to alerts for potential for Combined Sewer Overflow (CSO) activity in the Capital region.
Note: The CSO Notification System currently only supports Microsoft Internet Browser (IE).